Saturday, May 2, 2009

In My Neighbor's Yard ...














There are masses of these tiny blue flowers filling my neighbor's front yard ... and I admit it, I WANT them in my yard! But at least I can admire them every time I pass by. SIBERIAN SQUILL is an ugly name for a very beautiful little flower. It's also called Scilla siberica, which is slightly more elegant. The color is an intense Prussian blue, and it has three to five star-shaped blossoms suspended from each stem. Not only is the flower lovely, the plant is incredibly hardy: it really does grow in Siberia. It is also one of the very best bulb plants for naturalizing (i.e. it will not only come back year after year, it will gradually increase and multiply). Also, it's very cheap to buy. How can you lose?

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of it but it certainly is pretty. I wonde how it would fare in hotter climates?

    ReplyDelete