Sunday, April 22, 2012

For Meatless Monday: Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes














Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes

Serves: 6
The Ingredients.
2 pints (1 red; 1 yellow) cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/8 cup olive oil, for serving
1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti (I used regular spaghetti)
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (I forgot to buy it so I used dry. Wasn't as good)
6 tablespoons ricotta

The Directions.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place tomatoes cut-side up on a baking pan. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and thyme leaves. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil. Roast until tomatoes begin to soften, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook spaghetti following package instructions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add parsley, 1/4 cup olive oil, and roasted tomatoes and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon ricotta and 1 teaspoon olive oil.

The Verdict.
I found this recipe in my new issue of Country Living. Went to Trader Joe's for a box of Heirloom tomatoes and fresh thyme. It's too early in the season to find yellow cherry tomatoes here in Minnesota. The color was spectacular, but it needed garlic. Next time I make it, I'll add minced garlic and red pepper flakes to the olive oil. And I'll try to remember to buy parsley and whole-wheat pasta. A sprinkle of fresh parsley would have been so pretty on this!


No comments:

Post a Comment