Monday, December 26, 2011

Only 365 shopping days left . . .

Somehow, it's the day after Christmas. The presents have been opened and the decorations are due to be taken down, not this week, but next week for sure. The awful month of January is looming. I always feel an incredible let-down when Christmas is over. I love the carols and the preparation and the planning, probably more than the actual holiday itself. I think the highlight for me this year was giving granddaughter Nora a battery operated puppy that walks, wags his tail and barks. The family cat has been in shock ever since she heard the toy dog bark.

We had a buffet on Christmas Eve: hors d'oeuvres and desserts. Daughter and son-in-law provided the place and I brought some of the goodies. I've made this recipe many times in a 9x13 pan, but never in a bundt pan. I think it's my favorite dessert. I got the recipe from a cake box years ago. I had a piece for breakfast this morning, with a cold glass of milk. Perfection!


















CHOCOLATE CHERRY CAKE
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bundt pan. In large bowl, gently combine with spoon or spatula the following:
Ingredients:
1 pkg. Pillsbury chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
3 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. almond extract
Directions:
Bake 45-50 minutes. Cool 25 minutes, turn out and frost.

FROSTING
Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
5 Tbs. butter or margarine
1-6 oz. pkg. (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
Combine the powdered sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Pour and spread over warm cake. Cool completely. Allow frosting to FUDGIFY! You can top this with whipped cream, if you are so inclined.

In the picture below, Nora is showing her new barking puppy to the family cat. If you look closely, you can see the cat under the chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment