Sunday, July 10, 2011

I can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish :)













I finally found a tuna sandwich my husband likes. After forty years of marriage, this is a real breakthrough. I think the deal breaker for him was the Hellman's Light mayo. Plus he loves cheese and you can't even see the tuna there's so much cheese on top. And now that I see my photo I realize I should have sprinkled the tops of the Tuna Melts with pepper ... but I forgot. Too late now! But they were awesome.

Tuna Melts
Ingredients:
4 Hoagie Rolls, split and lightly toasted
1 large can white tuna in water, drained and flaked
1 cup chopped celery (I used a lot of celery. I love the crunch)
1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
4 tablespoons chopped green onion
1/4+ cup mayonnaise (I used Hellman's Light)
1/4 tsp. pepper, or to taste
8 slices yellow or white cheese, Cheddar, Swiss, Monterey Jack, or American
thinly sliced green onion for garnish
Preparation:
Heat oven to 350°.
Arrange the split rolls on a cookie sheet which has been lined with foil or a silicone baking mat. In a medium bowl, combine tuna with celery, green olives, green onion, and mayonnaise; blend all ingredients well. Stir in pepper to taste.
Spoon tuna mixture evenly over the rolls. Top each sandwich with 2 slices of cheese and bake until cheese is melted. Sprinkle each sandwich with green onion and freshly ground black pepper.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment