Friday, August 6, 2010

Pasta and Beans for Meatless Monday


















I have decided I'm going to try to post a Meatless Monday recipe right here on my blog for you, each and every Monday. It may be a bit of a challenge for me to come up with something new every week. I have quite a few favorite meatless recipes but I've already posted most of them. Ever vigilant, I shall constantly be on the look-out for new dishes to share.

As you've probably guessed, I've never met a pasta dish I didn't like. This simple, rustic recipe of hearty cannellini beans sauteed with tomatoes, onion and garlic, then tossed over warm pasta, is quick and delicious. It's sure to become part of your repertoire. And it's perfect for Meatless Monday. Just add hot, crusty bread and butter and you're good to go.


Pasta and Beans
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 onion, chopped
4 plum tomatoes, skin removed and chopped
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
handful of fresh spinach
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
1 box penne pasta (I used whole wheat pasta)
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Saute garlic and onion until tender. Stir in tomatoes and entire can of beans. Add oregano, basil, pepper and red pepper flakes. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; toss spinach in with pasta about a minute before pasta is done cooking. Drain.
3. Combine pasta with bean mixture and serve with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment