Monday, June 7, 2010

Old Mother Hubbard comes to my rescue ...


















Today is Meatless Monday at our house. I didn't want to go out for groceries and like Old Mother Hubbard, pickings in my cupboard were slim, so I decided to make do with what I had on hand. I opted to make a vegetarian soup, with a nice variety of beans for fiber and protein. And even though it's summer, my soup tasted just right, hearty and satisfying.

OLD MOTHER HUBBARD'S CAULIFLOWER - BEAN SOUP

1 large can vegetable broth
1/4 - 1/2 cup orzo (optional)
1 bag frozen cauliflower
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional) I like spicy. This might be too much.
Grated cheese (optional)

Add vegetable broth to soup kettle. Add diced tomatoes, orzo and frozen cauliflower. Cook at slow boil until orzo and cauliflower are done. Add beans and seasonings. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of grated cheese and hard rolls. I wish I'd had fresh spinach to add, for the color and nutritional value.

No comments:

Post a Comment