Saturday, March 6, 2010

Encore presentation ... one of my favorite recipes!
















This is a lovely recipe. I made it last Sunday and we had the leftovers on Monday. Two meals out of one recipe is always a bonus! This is really perfect for Sunday dinner with the family. We always ate dinner together on Sundays when our children were young. I'd set the dining room table with the "good" china and silverware and make it a special occasion. We all had our regular places and still do, even now that both of our kids are grown and on their own. I really miss those days when life was so busy but oh so sweet!

MUSTARD ROASTED CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES
INGREDIENTS:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6-1/2 T. whole-grain mustard (I use Mailles)
4 T. low-sodium soy sauce
Kosher salt & pepper
1 bag small carrots
2 red onions, cut in wedges
1-8 oz. box fresh mushrooms
12 sprigs fresh thyme (I don't always have fresh thyme. You can substitute dried thyme, about 1/2-1 tsp.)
8 T. olive oil
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash chicken in cold water and pat dry. Combine the mustard, soy sauce and 1 tsp. pepper in a large bowl. Whisk and add chicken to coat. Place chicken in a 9x13 pan.
3. Mix olive oil with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add carrots, onion and mushrooms to coat and place around the chicken. Add thyme to olive oil mixture and lay a stem on top of each chicken breast and place remainder in with the vegetables. I do another pan of just the vegetables, in addition to the chicken pan.
4. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 50-60 minutes. I served this with a tossed salad and rolls.

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe. I usually make roasted chicken with just rosemary but using the mustard and thyme sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of Sunday dinner too...and Saturday breakfasts...and a weekly pizza night. Granted, I don't really stick to any of these things, but every now and then I'll get a pot roast cooking on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete