Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday night is soup night!


















In my humble opinion, a big bowl of hot soup, served with crusty bread and REAL butter, is a perfect supper on a cold winter night. I made a fast and delicious soup tonight by combining a few vegetables with chicken broth and Mezzi Tubetti pasta, a very short durum wheat semolina pasta, which originated in the Campania region in Italy. I only used things I had on hand, since I didn't have time to go to the grocery store. I think my soup recipe is a keeper!
THURSDAY NIGHT SOUP
Ingredients:
48 oz. low sodium chicken broth
1-16 oz. bag frozen cauliflower
1/2 bag frozen corn
A couple handfuls tubetti pasta
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Shredded cheese (optional)
Directions:
Put chicken broth in large pot and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower, corn and pasta and cook briskly for about 8 minutes. Add all of the other ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve in bowls sprinkled with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment