Sunday, January 24, 2010

Texas hot ...


















Anyone who knows me knows I'm all about simple recipes with lots of flavor. I like recipes that are uncomplicated and straightforward. This yummy soup recipe definitely fits the bill. You can put it together quickly when you get home from work and it will provide a hearty meal for your family. Just round it out with cornbread or tortilla chips!

TEXAS RICE AND BEAN SOUP

1 pkg. Schilling HOT chili seasoning mix
3 cups cooked rice (I like to use brown rice)
48 oz. Swanson's low-sodium chicken broth
1-14 1/2 oz. can Mexican stewed tomatoes, cut in smaller pieces
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped green onions
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
I cook my rice in the microwave. It takes about 15 minutes. I start it first and then I put the other ingredients together in a Dutch oven and mix well. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add the cooked rice last. If the rice simmers too long it may become mushy. Garnish each serving with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. For an extra kick, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Serves 6.

1 comment:

  1. Is this football-watching food? In a way, I'm kinda glad the Vikes lost, just so people will stop talking about it already...but that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete