Saturday, September 19, 2009

Beefsteak Tomatoes and Fresh Basil From The Famer's Market ...















This is one of my favorite pasta recipes. I love the blend of fresh flavors served over delicate angel hair pasta. I bought 2 dozen gorgeous beefsteak tomatoes at the Farmer's Market for $8. I also got a huge bunch of fresh basil for $1. I was thrilled with my purchases. I peeled the tomatoes by dipping them in a pan of boiling water for just a few seconds. The skins split and came right off. I don't know if there's a better method, but that's the one my mom taught me years ago. I made a big pot of this pasta for dinner the other night but I forgot to photograph it. It really looked pretty. I decorated the top with basil leaves.
ANGEL HAIR TOMATO BASIL TOSS
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup sliced green onions
3 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 pound angel hair pasta, uncooked
Grated Parmesan cheese
In large skillet, heat oil. Add garlic and green onions; stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Prepare pasta, drain. Toss tomato mixture with hot cooked pasta. Serve immediately. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serves 4. I quadrupled the sauce recipe for 6 of us and there was plenty; we even had some leftover. I would suggest using less pasta. Also, I only used 1/2 cup of olive oil when I increased the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment