Friday, August 7, 2009
The odd couple ...
This may sound like a surprising combination, but these two summertime favorites—fresh basil and strawberries—pair deliciously well in this pretty salad. I've also made this with sliced baked chicken breast and a little feta cheese for a flavorful main dish. Almonds sprinkled on top add texture and crunch, but alas, I didn't have any!
STRAWBERRY BASIL SALAD WITH BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
• 2 cups sliced strawberries (1 pound)
• 1/2 cup vertically sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
• 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
1. Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add romaine lettuce, sliced strawberries, sliced onion, and torn basil; toss gently to coat. Serve salad immediately.
Recipe From Cooking Light