Sunday, August 16, 2009

Chicken with peaches and blueberries ...















When it's hot like this, I try to come up with light, refreshing suppers. I found this simple, no-cook salad recipe the other day and decided now would be the perfect time to try it. Fresh peaches star. I added the blueberries and they make a nice flavor contrast. The vinaigrette, made from ordinary pantry staples, takes just minutes to prepare and is a delicious compliment to the other ingredients. I love the sweet maple with the tangy mustard. You can use a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time. I used chicken breasts we grilled yesterday. As I sit here typing this, I think some diagonally sliced celery would also be a nice addition. Serves 4. Adapted from Cooking Light.

CHICKEN SALAD WITH PEACHES, BLUEBERRIES AND PECANS

Dressing
2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons shallots, minced
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Rest of Ingredients
2 cups rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded
2 cups peaches, peeled & sliced
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup red onion, sliced vertically
1/4 cup pecans, chopped & toasted
10 ounces gourmet salad greens
2-4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (I used feta cheese)
Directions
1. Combine first 8 ingredients; stir with a whisk.
2. Combine chicken and remaining ingredients except cheese in a large
bowl. Add vinegar mixture; toss gently. Sprinkle with cheese.

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting combination! I have often heard of mango and chicken in salad, but never peaches and blueberries. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete