Thursday, September 20, 2012

Roasted Chicken with Vegetables

(from my recipe archives)
This is one of my favorite fall recipes. It's been featured on my blog before but it's back again because it's so good! You should add it to your menu rotation: tender chicken, delicious sauce (love the thyme and mustard combination), and wonderful vegetables. The house smells divine while it's baking and feels so cozy! I used a variety of vegetables I had on hand (potatoes, carrots and mushrooms). Sometimes I add onions and sweet potatoes or fingerling potatoes to the mix. You can start the chicken and veggies at the same time, and bake for about an hour. I usually double the amount of veggies so we can have yummy leftovers.
Mustard Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
The Ingredients.
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 T. whole-grain mustard (I use Mailles)
3 T. low-sodium soy sauce
Kosher salt & pepper
1 bag small carrots
1 box whole mushrooms
4-6 small red potatoes or small Yukon Gold, or both, quartered
1 red onion, cut in wedges (optional)
12 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
4 T. olive oil
The Directions.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash chicken in cold water and pat dry. Combine the mustard, soy sauce, 1 tsp. pepper and salt to taste, in a large bowl. I also sprinkle in a little dried thyme if I don't have the fresh. Whisk and add chicken to coat. Place chicken in a 9x13 pan.
3. Mix olive oil with 1 tsp. salt. 1/2 tsp. pepper and 1/2 tsp. dried thyme. Add carrots, mushrooms and potatoes to coat and place around the chicken. If using fresh thyme instead of dried, lay a stem on top of each chicken breast and place remainder in with the vegetables. I do an extra pan (jelly roll pan covered with foil for easy clean-up) with just veggies and put it in the oven with the chicken.
4. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are fork tender, about 50-60 minutes. Serve with a tossed salad.





No comments:

Post a Comment