Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tomato Bread Recipe from Penzey's

August is lurking around the corner. Summer will be gone before I know it. I'm not sure I'll miss it this year. It's been entirely too hot and too humid. Just tried this simple recipe from Penzey's Spices (Back-to-School) 2012 catalog. Penzey's puts out a top-notch catalog, advertising their unique and FRESH herbs and spices. This recipe was featured on the cover. There's a Penzey's on Grand Avenue, here in St. Paul, just a mile or so from home. Lucky me!
Jenny's Tomato Bread
The Ingredients.
1 loaf French bread, sliced lengthwise
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2-1 tsp. garlic powder (or to taste)
3-4 fresh tomatoes, sliced thinly
1 tsp. Sea salt
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. oregano
8 oz. sliced mozzarella cheese
The Directions.
Preheat oven to 500°. I cut the bread into 8 pieces. It's easier to do it now than when it's hot. Spread each slice of bread evenly with butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder.
Line the tomato slices down the center of the bread. Note: if using juicy tomatoes, let the slices sit on paper toweling for a minute before using. Sprinkle with salt, olive oil and oregano. I had fresh basil so I chiffonade-ed it (What a dashing word. Do you chiffonade? I do! Chiffonade means to shred. It's a very clever little technique, invented by someone's French great-great-great grandmother. Perhaps mine?). I tossed some of the rough cut basil chiffonade over the tomatoes.
Top with cheese slices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 500° until the cheese melts and the bread begins to toast, about 5-10 minutes. If you wish to brown the cheese, put the oven on broil for the last minute, and watch carefully.
8 servings.
The Verdict.
This was fast, easy and delicious. Add a tossed salad and you have a tasty supper. It also works as a quick lunch or yummy appetizer. I'm thinking about adding cut-up artichokes and sliced kalamata olives next time I make it, but really, it's perfect just the way it is. I have never met the "Jenny" who invented this recipe, but it's a keeper! And by the way, it's perfect for your dinner on Meatless Monday!
Click here to sign up for a FREE Penzey's catalog.



No comments:

Post a Comment