Monday, May 28, 2012

Martha's Cole Slaw














We had a Kick-Off To Summer Barbecue yesterday and I tried a new (to me) cole slaw recipe. The only thing I did differently was that I used a bag of pre-shredded cabbage. Otherwise, I followed Martha's directions exactly. You just can't go wrong with one of Martha Stewart's recipes! :)
From Martha Stewart Living, June 2004
http://www.marthastewart.com/312646/classic-creamy-coleslaw

Classic Creamy Coleslaw
Yield: Serves 6
The Ingredients.
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 small green cabbage, (about 1 3/4 pounds), finely shredded
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks or coarsely grated
1 small onion, coarsely grated (optional)
The Directions.
1. Whisk together mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, mayonnaise, and sour cream in a small bowl. Refrigerate dressing, covered, until ready to use, or up to 2 days.
2. Put cabbage, carrots, and onion (if desired) in a large bowl. Pour in dressing, and toss thoroughly. Refrigerate, covered, until slaw begins to soften, 1 to 2 hours. If not using immediately, refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days. Just before serving, toss coleslaw again.
The Verdict.
We liked the combination of tangy mustard, mayonnaise, and sour cream in the dressing. I missed the celery seed I usually add to cole slaw but this was a good, classic recipe. I served it with grilled Italian sausages and hot dogs and my old reliable stand-by, baked beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment