Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bringing back one of my old stand-bys . . .














I came across this recipe in a magazine in my doctor's waiting room a few years ago and I'm embarrassed to admit I tore out the page. But I did it quietly and I don't think anyone noticed. I can now report I'm glad I did it! It has become a family favorite and has a special place in my cooking repertoire. It's a perfect fall dinner, if we ever get fall here in Minnesota. I have the worst feeling that we're going to go from our second summer directly to winter.


MUSTARD ROASTED CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES
INGREDIENTS:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5-6 T. whole-grain mustard (I used Mailles)
4 T. low-sodium soy sauce
Kosher salt & pepper
2# bag small baby carrots
1 - box whole mushrooms
3-4 red onions, cut in wedges
12 sprigs fresh thyme (or dried thyme)
6 T. olive oil
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash chicken in cold water and pat dry. Combine the mustard, soy sauce and 1 tsp. pepper in a large bowl. Whisk and add chicken to coat. Place chicken in a 9x13 pan.
3. Mix olive oil with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add carrots, mushrooms and onion to coat and place around the chicken. Put extra vegetables on a jelly roll pan covered with foil (for easy clean-up). Add thyme to olive oil mixture and lay a stem on top of each chicken breast and place remainder in with the vegetables. You may need more olive oil to coat all the veggies.
4. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 50-60 minutes. I served this with brown rice on the side.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, that sounds good. I'm bookmarking it to try w/ pheasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is whats for Dinner tonite .. mmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete