Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Spicy Vegetarian Chili















Chili is one of my favorite cold weather meals. I haven't made it for months, but tonight, with the temperature at a crisp 54 degrees, it seemed like a perfect evening to rustle up a pot for supper. I like this easy recipe because it goes together really fast. It's just right for cooks who can't spend hours in the kitchen. And it's so colorful ... it's almost like eating a rainbow, minus the blue . . . although the Ancho chili powder is purple!

Vegetarian Bean Chili
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients:
1 - 14.5 oz. can Southwestern diced tomatoes with juice
1 can Rotel original tomatoes with juice
1 - 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained (or use frozen corn)
1 - 4 oz. can diced green chilies (I used HOT diced jalapenos)
1 cup water (may need to add more)
1 1/2 T. ground Ancho pepper (I used chili powder)
1/2 T. ground cumin
1 pinch red pepper flakes (I used more)
Sliced green onions for garnish
Shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
Combine tomatoes, beans, corn, chilies, water and spices. Heat to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes, until the chili has thickened. Serve garnished with green onions and shredded cheese.
(Recipe from Penzeys Spices, Fall 2011)

Note: Ground Ancho Chili pepper is the most popular chili pepper for Mexican cooking. They are not hot, rather richly flavorful, with a beautiful purple color. I didn't have any so I substituted regular chili powder. Hopefully, next time I make this, I'll have some on my pantry shelf.

1 comment:

  1. i saw a veg chili recipe in my latest penzey's catalog and thought I need to make that asap - great minds must think alike ;)

    ReplyDelete