Tuesday, August 30, 2011

They're baaack!


















At last! My favorite apples are back and available at the St. Paul Farmer's Market. The Zestar! was introduced in 1999 by University of Minnesota (U of M) research scientists. You probably won't find them in grocery stores. I first discovered them two years ago. I wasn't lucky enough to get them last year so you'll understand my current euphoria over having a bag delivered to my door Saturday morning by my daughter. The Zestar! fills a need for a flavorful apple that ripens in August. The most outstanding feature is its sprightly, sweet-tart taste -- with a hint of brown sugar. It's a super juicy apple with a light, crisp texture. I was told they're good for baking, too! If you come across them anywhere, I hope you'll give them a try. I guarantee you won't be sorry!

1 comment: