Monday, January 31, 2011

Meatless Monday's Mother Hubbard Soup


















I love making soup, but Tom doesn't really like eating soup, so I don't make it very often. But sometimes, when the weather is cold and snowy and I really want to stay inside where it's WARM, I just have to make soup. Like today! It snowed most of the day and it was a nasty commute ... actually it's still snowing ... so I made soup. I didn't use a recipe. I just used what I had on hand in my cupboard. I started with vegetable broth and added to it from the pantry. A can of this and some of that. Turns out great every time!
Mother Hubbard's Soup
Ingredients:
48 oz. box vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black  beans,  rinsed and drained
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans diced Italian tomatoes, including juice
1-16 oz bag frozen crinkle cut carrots
Handful tubetti pasta (or macaroni)
1/2 bag fresh baby spinach, stems removed
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like hot)
1/2 tsp. oregano
Shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
Put broth in large soup pot. Add carrots and cook until they are tender but not mushy. Add the other ingredients. Just before serving, add spinach and cook until it wilts, 1-2 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and crusty rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment