Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What do the Sunday Funnies, Katherine Hepburn and Winslow Homer have in common?













What do the Sunday Funnies, Katherine Hepburn and Winslow Homer have in common? They're all part of 2010's special issue postage stamps collection. Every year around the end of December, the United States Postal Service unveils their designs for all the new stamps they'll issue during the coming year. After that, I try to stop by the post office every few weeks to pick up the newest stamps available. Not because I collect stamps (I'm definitely not the type) but because I think it's a fun and unique way to jazz up my out-going-mail. The Sunday Funnies collection (five stamps highlighting the popular Sunday comic strips “Beetle Bailey,” “Dennis the Menace,” “Garfield,” “Archie” and “Calvin and Hobbes”) issued last July, are some of my all-time favorite stamps. I also like the Winslow Homer stamp issued August 12. Homer is one of the great American artists and is honored as part of the American Treasures series through his 1874 painting “Boys in a Pasture.” The May issuance in the Legends of Hollywood series honors Katharine Hepburn, one of America’s most fascinating and glamorous film stars. It's spectacular!

The last stamps issued this year came out in October and depict holiday evergreens as well as an angel with a lute, painted by Melozzo da Forli. I'm excited to see what new stamps will be coming out in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment