Thursday, November 4, 2010

A spicy twist for macaroni and cheese ...


















I meant to post this recipe on November 2, but then time got away from me and I decided a short "get out and vote" post was in order. I love macaroni and cheese. And this recipe is rich, filling and delicious. There are as many recipes for mac & cheese as there are cooks who make it, ranging from traditional to gourmet, cheesy kid favorites to adult varieties with lobster! I think of macaroni and cheese as one of the ultimate comfort foods! It takes me back to those cozy, happy nights in my kitchen serving it to my sweet little kidlets.

I want to go on record right now and admit I occasionally use a prepared cheese product in my mac & cheese. It tastes good and melts quickly and that's what my cooking is all about: easy and delicious. This spicy recipe is from Southern Living, MARCH 2003 ...

Spicy Tomato Macaroni and Cheese
To tame the spiciness, switch to regular prepared cheese product and milder diced tomatoes and green chiles.
Ingredients:
8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 (8-ounce) loaf Mexican-style pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream (I used Light Sour Cream)
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained (I used Southwest style diced tomatoes, drained)
Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions, draining well.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add cheese, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in sour cream, blending well. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles and pasta; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. This recipe doubles well.

No comments:

Post a Comment