Monday, May 31, 2010

A Day To Celebrate!























My little granddaughter was baptized yesterday. She wore the same baptismal gown I wore, 62 years ago! My favorite great aunt made the dress for me. Every stitch is by hand. It's a work of art and a beautiful family heirloom. My three brothers all wore it, as did my daughter and son. And yesterday, it was Nora's turn. I love the continuity the gown represents, the connection between generations. There are two pieces to the set: a lovely underslip, and the gown itself. There are hundreds of tiny tucks and stitches. The fabric is a very light, fine cotton batiste. The buttons are Lilliputian! There's lovely old lace trimming everywhere. It's a fine, frothy confection, perfect for our little cherub! It was too warm, and very muggy, but we all joined together to celebrate Nora's big day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how lovely your Granddaughter, as well as your dress!

    Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!
    Ruthi
    http://ruthireads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete