Monday, March 22, 2010

YUM!


















This is my take on a sandwich recipe I saw posted at Pies and Aprons recently. It would be a wonderful late summer supper, when peppers are at their peak. Since the growing season here in Minnesota hasn't even begun yet, I shopped at Aldis and got the veggies I needed. They were excellent and relatively inexpensive. I didn't use tomatoes in my sandwiches, although I think they'd be delicious. I substituted the more reasonably priced provolone for the goat cheese originally called for (a tiny tube of goat cheese at Target is $4.99).
I already had demi-baguettes in the freezer from Trader Joe's. Tom added chips to his sandwich plate. We thought this was full of great flavor. And there's nothing that beats the mouth-watering smell of peppers and onions gently sizzling in a pan on your stove. Perfection!

Veggie and Provolone Baguettes
2 mini baguettes, sliced lengthwise and toasted
4 slices Provolone
Olive oil
1 - 2 cups each mushrooms, peppers (I used green, red and orange), and onions
1/2 tsp. dried or fresh basil
1/4 tsp. pepper
Saute the mushrooms and peppers in a little olive oil until tender and lightly browned, then add the onions. Sprinkle in dried crushed basil and black pepper.
Meanwhile, toast the baguettes and melt provolone.
Pile the veggies high (and maybe fresh herbs if you've got them), slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment