Sunday, June 14, 2009

Summertime spinach salad















Don't forget to eat your spinach, rich in iron and fiber!!! My son Tom used to call it Popeye food! I love salads and I'm always trying different combinations of ingredients. I made a new salad for dinner tonight. It was perfect with our grilled steaks.
~Spinach-Grape Salad~
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1 package fresh baby spinach, thoroughly washed
1 cup seedless red grapes, sliced
Sliced red onion
1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
Light raspberry-walnut vinaigrette
1. Heat pine nuts in a small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until toasted and fragrant.
2. Coarsely chop or tear spinach. Toss together spinach, grapes, red onion, feta cheese, and vinaigrette in a serving bowl. Sprinkle with pine nuts, and serve immediately.

The recipe called for Newman's Own Light Raspberry & Walnut Dressing. I made my own dressing but I'd love to try the Newman's.
Vinaigrette I used:
3 T. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment