Thursday, April 9, 2009
Take Me Out To The Ballgame ...
While watching The Today Show recently, I came across a tasty way to use the gorgeous peppers I bought at Aldis. The Scottos of the New York restaurant "Fresco by Scotto" shared their delicious, unique, and easy-to-make recipe for Sausage, Peppers and Provolone Wrap. They're actually opening a concession stand at the new Yankee Stadium, and this is on the menu! Quite a step up from a hot dog with mustard! I used low-cal whole wheat wraps but ideally, I would use a thicker wrap.
SAUSAGE, PEPPERS AND PROVOLONE WRAP
From: FRESCO by Scotto
• 1 pound Italian sausage links, cooked, and sliced
• 3 large bell peppers, sliced thin
• 1 large onion, sliced thin
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
• 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. In 10-inch sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium to high heat.
2. Sauté sausage until brown and cooked through. Add the peppers and sauté for 15 minutes; then add the onions, garlic and chili pepper flakes, cook until soft and lightly brown. Season with salt and pepper, and toss.
To Assemble Wrap:
Your favorite store bought wrap
1. Slice 2 sausage links per wrap.
2. On each wrap, add the sausage and 3 tablespoons of peppers and onions.
3. Top with sliced provolone cheese.
4. Wrap and enjoy.