Thursday, January 29, 2009

Roast chicken with carrots and onions ...














I came across this recipe while I was in my doctor's waiting room - and yes, I did tear out the page. I couldn't stop myself and now I can admit I'm glad I did it! This fantastic dish has it all: great taste, simple ingredients and it's easy! Next time I make this, I'll add fresh mushrooms.


MUSTARD ROASTED CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES
INGREDIENTS:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5-6 T. whole-grain mustard (I used Mailles)
4 T. low-sodium soy sauce
Kosher salt & pepper
2# bag small baby carrots
3-4 red onions, cut in wedges
12 sprigs fresh thyme (or dried thyme)
6 T. olive oil
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash chicken in cold water and pat dry. Combine the mustard, soy sauce and 1 tsp. pepper in a large bowl. Whisk and add chicken to coat. Place chicken in a 9x13 pan.
3. Mix olive oil with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add carrots and onion to coat and place around the chicken. Put extra carrots & onion on a jelly roll pan covered with foil (for easy clean-up). Add thyme to olive oil mixture and lay a stem on top of each chicken breast and place remainder in with the vegetables.
4. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 50-60 minutes. I served this with brown rice on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment