Monday, May 21, 2012
For Meatless Monday: Black Bean and Egg Tacos
Mario Batali's Black Bean and Egg Tacos
I happened to watch The Chew last week when chef Mario Batali prepared this recipe for black bean and egg tacos. Batali and his family challenged themselves to live off $124 a week, for a family of four, which is the amount of food stamps that are provided to a family of that size. One of the results? This delicious, and inexpensive, breakfast. I think it could be served for lunch or supper as well.
1 can Black Beans (drained)
1 bunch Scallions
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Freshly Ground Pepper
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
12 Fresh Corn Tortillas (warmed)
1) Slice the scallions, keeping the greens and whites separate.
2) In a large mixing bowl combine black beans, eggs, scallion whites, a pinch of salt and pepper, several dashes of hot sauce (Tabasco) and the cheese.
3) In a skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and once hot, add the bean and egg mixture.
4) Continue stirring as eggs cook.
5) Warm tortillas on griddle. To serve, divide the egg and bean mixture evenly among the tortillas, topping with extra shredded cheese and the scallion greens.
I added an extra egg and extra cheese. I also served salsa on the side. A few spoonfuls on top gave the egg and bean mixture a yummy kick. I thought these were delicious, but husband Tom didn't care for them. He doesn't like eggs!
Note: I don't know how Chef Batali stretched the bean and egg mixture to fill 12 tortillas. I must have filled ours too full.